Ranch musings


We were a happy trio as we putted along in the side-by-side heading out to the corrals to join the rest of the family.

Bud the dog,  Little Guy (youngest grandson) and myself were taking cold drinks and goodies for everyone, and we had a light breeze, fluffy clouds, and blue sky as our companions. Not all the family was waiting for us; our oldest daughter and her husband were at the hospital, waiting for her to have surgery, but we felt she was in good hands and didn’t expect any complications.

The cattle were sorted into the right pastures, everyone enjoyed a brief break before heading home, and Justin joined  Bud, Grandson and me.  We quit puttering when he took over the driving, and shifted into high gear—-there seemed to be fences to check, gates to close, and everything whizzed by us at high speed. Grandson pointed to the seat belts, and I nodded in agreement.

After some time of bouncing through ruts, dodging puddles, and tearing down steep hills, Justin made the mistake of bouncing out to pound a staple in. I quickly slid under the wheel. There are some things that a person just can’t tolerate, and one of them is racing through a beautiful day without taking time to enjoy it.

We were back to puttering. Past an old homestead where the yellow irises still bloom, moseying through the grass filled draws, stopping to tip over a struggling turtle that had flipped over on his back, smelling the wild roses, watching a lone antelope as she kept a wary eye on us. The good things of life. Even my cowboy was in a relaxed state of mind when we reached home.


During supper we had an urgent phone call. No, not from our daughter at the hospital, but from a tow truck operator who had gotten stuck in a muddy pasture where he was trying to pull out some Missouri prairie dog hunters, who were very stuck. It wasn’t long after Justin and our son left to rescue the stranded ones that I received another urgent call. Not only was the tow truck and the hunters stuck, but also—you guessed it—-the rescuers. Now they needed someone in a four wheeler to bring them back so they could get the tractor and, hopefully, pull everyone out.

Our daughter-in-law headed out in the deepening twilight to find them, and once again, Little Grandson, Bud the dog, and I are a trio, but this time we are at Little Grandson’s house enjoying the rocking chair. Shortly before midnight everyone is unstuck, headed back to civilization, and the message on the answering machine said our daughter’s surgery was successful, and she was resting comfortably.

A slightly untypical day on the ranch.

Have a good and Godly day—-even if it is a little unusual—-

Our happy trio